lunes, 12 de noviembre de 2018

Sitges 2018: Interviewing Josie Ho

Josie Ho is an amazing actress, producer and rock singer (with her band Josie and the Uni Boys). She played over 60 movies, produced over 10 films and is celebrating the 10th aniversary with her rock band.


PHOTO Credits:
Photographer & Styling: Vernie Yeung
Art direction: Godfrey Kwan
Hair: Vic Kwan@wecut.asia
Makeup: Ling Chan/ Angus Lee@Zing The Makeup School


Mike y sus Chinos: First of all, welcome to the festival. It's a pleasure to be able to interview you. What do you think about the festival? Tell us about how you see the public and the organization.

Josie Ho: I’m thrilled and felt so happy that I felt like I had found some more friends, I was so glad to see more of my kind. All the fans were really into every second of the moments in the film, it’s really like a paradise and a rock n roll gig for filmmakers.

MysC: How are you feeling being juror of the festival and also to be awarded with the prestigious "time machine" (màquina del temps) award?

JH: I’m so honored that I got invited into the jury, I really felt that Sitges people know what effort I’ve put into my work, so I felt respected. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to feel this way. I’ve also learned a lot.

MysC: Your career includes several fields, such as music and cinema. Is it complicated to balance both when working?

JH: Yes, I only realized that this year I’ve never stopped working 24/7. You’ve actually reminded me now. I’ve got to utilize my time wisely. Maybe then, I can really put in more insights to my work.

MysC: Observing your filmography we see it varies the genres and it's quite international (in Sitges we enjoyed Dream Home and Open Grave). Is there much difference between working in Hong Kong or in Europe/USA?

JH: Oh! Thank you for liking these two films. I thought both were well shot. I find working on a film set in Hong Kong and Europe is not so very different, especially “Dream Home.” I made sure the production rhythm was steady and everyone knows what they are doing on set. I’m proud to say that, haha!!  And “Open Grave” of course got deeper as the story went long.

MysC: What kind of characters do you enjoy the most playing?

JH: I enjoy a lot of characters that have at least a few moments to shine. I may be greedy! (laughs).

MysC: What kind of genre is the one you enjoy the most?

JH: I think the fantastic genre is one of my favorite. I also enjoy art and cult. Actually, I’m such a movie “slut,” I like most films. As long as it really shows me something mysterious.

MysC: With your rock band Josie and the Uni Boys, you are on your 10th anniversary tour and you also release a couple of singles in 7". Can you tell us what future projects you have in mind?

JH: Maybe I should ask you to come and stay in Hong Kong from January to April 6th.  January 16th and 17th is when the project I’m most looking forward to will take place -- an experimental musical theatre piece. Josie and the Uni Boys will jam with an avant-garde vision theatre company Zuni. And my concert is on April 6th.  So come!



PHOTO Credits:
Photographer & Styling: Vernie Yeung
Art direction: Godfrey Kwan
Hair: Vic Kwan@wecut.asia
Makeup: Ling Chan/ Angus Lee@Zing The Makeup School

MysC: Back to cinema, your next project it's in the film Lucky Day, directed by Roger Avary. What can you explain about this new project?

JH: My apology, I can’t say too much about it yet. I don’t know when they will start promoting it, but I’m sure audiences will find it very fantastical. And I was so stoked to get to work with Roger Avary. He is a very inspiring person. He cracks me up sometimes.

MysC: And to end this interview we couldn't leave without asking about your future project as an actress or producer.

JH: My future project includes music which I’ve talked a bit about above. One experimental cross over with classical piano and my band Josie and the Uni Boys. It’ll be a clash or mesh of our own rock songs and classical Bolero. Then I’ve got another Josie and The Uni Boys 10th anniversary concert with s friend’s concert.  Then, a week after my concert I’ve got to work on a film, a miniseries and another Netflix original series, in which I play… hmmm, it’s about corruption in the Hong Kong 60’s. After then, my band might expand in China and hopefully get something interesting to work on. I’m looking forward to Roger Avary’s film to come out and my upcoming Japanese debut horror too. Oh, also have two more singles from my band to be released and a very meaningful and educational documentary that I produced to come. It’s called: “Finding Bliss Fire and Ice.” So, I hope that’s it for the year, I need to take some relaxation time.  


MysC: Thank you for your time. It's been a real pleasure to meet you.

JH: It was pleasure talking to you Mike. I’m glad you let me speak so much. Adiós!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario